Dive into Summer with New Pool Sign Regulations. FSGS Has You Covered.
Posted on: Wednesday February 10, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2021
We don’t have to tell you that pools and spas are a major selling point in your complex. How else do we get relief from the Texas heat? With the Texas Department of Health and Human Services’ new requirements for spas and swimming pools in Texas, it’s important that you’re prepared for the upcoming pool season.
These new rules went into effect on January 1, 2021 and according to the health department, “The new rules provide construction, sanitation, and operational requirements for public pools and spas in accordance with good public health engineering practices intended to protect the health and safety of users, and to reduce to a practical minimum the possibility of drowning or of injury to users.”
Read on to learn the specifics of the regulations, or contact FSGS if you don’t want to be bothered with the details.
Pool and Spa Signs Regulations
In Texas, the following pool signs for public pools, including apartment complex swimming pools, must be posted:
- “WARNING-NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY” (where no lifeguard required or provided)
- “NO DIVING” and international no diving symbol (where no lifeguard required or provided)
- “IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL 911”
- A sign that states the precise location of the pool on or with the emergency phone (address, or directions, or GPS location, or building number, as appropriate)
- A sign providing directions to and location of emergency phone if phone is not visible in the pool yard
- A sign indicating hours of operation
- A sign informing patrons of the maximum user load limit
- “PETS IN THE POOL ARE PROHIBITED”
- “DO NOT SWIM IF YOU HAVE BEEN ILL WITH DIARRHEA WITHIN THE PAST 2 WEEKS”
- “CHANGING DIAPERS WITHIN 6 FEET OF THE POOL IS PROHIBITED”
- “GLASS ITEMS NOT ALLOWED IN THE POOL YARD”
- “PERSONS UNDER THE AGE OF 14 MUST NOT BE IN THE POOL WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION”
- EXTENDED BREATH HOLDING ACTIVITIES ARE DANGEROUS AND PROHIBITED”
In addition to the verbiage listed above, Texas regulations for pool signs also include minimum letter and symbol size.
Like pools, water parks with interactive features, such as water slides and fountains are also required to display the following signage:
- “NON-SERVICE ANIMALS PROHIBITED”
- “CHANGING DIAPERS WITHIN 6 FEET OF THE WATER FEATURE IS PROHIBITED”
- “USE OF THE WATER FEATURE IF ILL WITH A CONTAGIOUS DISEASE IS PROHIBITED”
- “DO NOT DRINK WATER FROM THE WATER FEATURE”
- “USE OF THE WATER FEATURE WHEN ILL WITH DIARRHEA IS PROHIBITED”
If you operate a swimming pool in an area where most residents do not speak English, Texas law also allows for pool signs to be posted in both English and the area’s predominant language. Private pool owners should consult local ordinances to ensure they are observing all applicable standards.
Wondering Where to Start?
Before opening your swimming pool for the season, be sure your signs are up to code. The FSGS team is well-versed in Texas requirements for pool signs and can make recommendations for sign placement, size, etc. Our design team will ensure your pool signs are on brand with other property signage, from material to colors and fonts. Contact us today to learn more pool signs in Texas.
Long before property signs are ever installed or a design concept has even been presented to the client, Team FSGS is already hard at work. Take a look inside this recent project in our latest blog.go to article
What’s more important than updating the building and property signs at your apartment community? A well-branded leasing office. One of our clients, Lurin (a recipient of the Dallas 100 award!) is exceptional at designing beautifully branded leasing offices. Learn more and get some ideas of what you can do in your own office in our latest blog.go to article
Signs that Fit Just Right: Understanding the Broad Range of Prices and Options for Your Sign Project
As a custom sign manufacturer, we can create any sign you can imagine! But we also understand that projects have budgets and time constraints that must be met. With our three-tiered approach to interior and monument signs, there’s a sign to fit any budget!go to article